8948 Hope Hill Lane
Apex NC 27502
Approved January 2006; effective April 2006
The AWC Register of Merit program was developed to recognize Whippet sires and dams with superior producing ability. It was not designated as a conformation-only program and in past years we have seen an attempt to recognize more of the performance titles but they have been cumbersome at best. By utilizing events that already have inspection of disqualifying faults, this proposal provides a fairly simple way for people to utilize several different champion level titles in recognizing superior sires and dams. Following are a list of the titles and venues that will be discussed in the requirements:
ROM/ROMX contributing titles:
AKC bench champion
AKC Field Champion
ASFA LCM: Lure Courser of Merit, levels 1 and higher.
CWA ARX: Award of Racing Excellence
NAWRA RCh: Race Champion
NOFCA CC and CM: Coursing Champion, Courser of Merit
NOTRA ORC: Oval Racing Champion
WRA WRCh: Whippet Racing Champion
Qualifying titles and events:
AKC JC: Junior Courser
AKC SC: Senior Courser
AKC MC: Master Courser
ASFA FCh: Field Champion
CWA TRP: Title of Racing Proficiency
ROM/ROMX Requirements – Effective April 2006
The AWC awards the producing titles of ROM (Register Of Merit) and ROMX (Register Of Merit Excellent) to Whippets who have sired or produced exceptional numbers of bench, race or coursing champions. The American Whippet Club will award the Register of Merit and Register of Merit Excellent titles to outstanding sires and dams (alive or deceased) when the following requirements have been met:
Register of Merit (ROM)
For any Whippet sire whose offspring have earned a minimum of 15 or any Whippet dam whose offspring have earned a minimum of 7 of the following titles:
Register of Merit Excellent (ROMX)
For any Whippet sire whose offspring have earned a minimum of 25 or any Whippet dam whose offspring have earned a minimum of 10 of the following titles:
1. Contributing Titles:
AKC Champion, AKC Field Champion, ASFA LCM, ARM, ARX.
CC, CM, ORC, RCH, WRCh. Since these titles are earned in venues where breed disqualifications are not completely inspected, or dogs with disqualifications can title, every dog contributing one of the conditional titles must present proof of an additional qualifying title or attendance in an event where height, eye and bite disqualifications, as described in the AWC breed standard, are examined for.
2. Qualifying titles and events include:
AKC coursing (JC, SC, MC)
CWA racing (TRP)
ASFA coursing (FCh)
Proof of competition in the AKC conformation ring.
For the above listed events, either proof of title (photocopy) or an official record of attendance can serve to prove the dog has been inspected at least once, for all breed disqualifications.
3. A copy of the Contributing Title certificate MUST accompany the ROM/ROMX application (proof of AKC Ch, ARX, LCM, etc). It is up to the applying party to present all necessary documentation for all contributing titles! This is NOT THE JOB of the program director and the application WILL NOT BE PROCESSED if the paperwork is not complete.
4. A copy of the Qualifying Title or an official record of attendance MUST accompany the ROM/ROMX application where a conditional title is used. It is up to the applying party to present all necessary documentation for conditional titles! This is NOT THE JOB of the program director and the application WILL NOT BE PROCESSED if the paperwork is not complete.
5. Only one title in each field of endeavor to be counted (one racing title, one coursing title, one open field title).
ASFA LCM or higher, AKC FCh
ARX, RCh, ORC, WRCh
Open Field Coursing
NOFCA CM, NOFCA CC
6. Only two titles maximum count per offspring.
ROM awards are granted by application only. The applicant need not be the owner of the dog, but a completed form must be submitted, including proof of all contributing and qualifying titles.